What is a boundary survey?
A survey is a tool that provides valuable information about the boundaries, size, and shape of a piece of land. It is used to establish the legal boundaries of a property and to ensure that it is properly described in legal documents.
Why are surveys conducted?
There are several reasons why land surveys are conducted:
- To establish the legal boundaries of a property: A land survey is used to determine the exact location of the boundaries of a piece of land. This is important for establishing ownership and resolving boundary disputes.
- To create a map or plat of the property: A land survey creates a map or plat of the property that shows the location of the boundaries, buildings, roads, utilities, and other features on the land.
- To support the sale or transfer of property: A land survey is often required when a piece of property is being sold or transferred. It provides accurate and reliable information about the features of the land as well as the boundaries of the property.
- To support construction projects: A land survey is important for construction projects because it provides accurate information about the boundaries and topography of the land.
- To support land development and planning: A land survey provides important information about the topography, elevation, slope, and contours of a piece of land.
What’s included in a land survey?
A land survey typically includes a map or plat of the property, which shows the legal boundaries of the land and any improvements or features on the property.
The map or plat is usually accompanied by a written report, which typically includes a description of the property, including its size, shape, and location.
The map or plat of the property will typically show the location of the property in relation to nearby landmarks and other properties, easements, rights-of-way, or other encumbrances and may also include the location of any buildings, roads, utilities, and other improvements on the property.
The written report accompanying the map or plat will typically include a description of the property, including its size, shape, and location. The written report may include information about the history of the property, such as any prior owners or uses of the land or information about the land survey process, including the methods and equipment used to gather data and the sources of information used to prepare the survey.
A survey may also include other materials, such as photographs, drawings, or other documentation to provide additional information about the property or to support the conclusions reached in the survey.
Why surveys are important..
A land survey is important because it can provide accurate and reliable information about the boundaries of a property, helping to resolve disputes and prevent costly legal battles.
In addition to resolving boundary disputes, a land survey is also important for construction projects. Before beginning any construction work, it is important to know the exact boundaries of the property and to ensure that the construction does not encroach on the property of others.
A land survey is also useful for land development and planning purposes. It can provide important information about the topography of a piece of land, including the elevation, slope, and contours of the land. This information is useful for determining the suitability of a piece of land for a particular use, such as building a home or commercial development.
It is well worth the investment to obtain a land survey to ensure that a piece of property is properly described and its boundaries are accurately established.
How much does a property survey cost?
Land survey cost can vary widely depending on a number of factors, such as the size of the property, the complexity of the survey, and the location of the property. In general, a land survey can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.
Some of the factors that can affect land survey cost include:
- Size of the property
- Complexity of the survey
- Location of the property
- Type of survey
It is important to obtain multiple quotes from different surveyors to get an idea of the average land survey cost in your area.
How can I find a licensed land surveyor?
There are a few different ways you can find a licensed land surveyor:
- Ask for recommendations: You can ask friends, family, or colleagues if they have used a land surveyor in the past and if they would recommend them.
- Search online directories: There are several online directories, such as the American Society of Land Surveyors (ASLS) directory or the National Society of Professional Surveyors (NSPS) directory, where you can find a list of licensed land surveyors in your area. These directories usually include information about the surveyors’ qualifications and areas of expertise.
- Contact your state licensing board: Each state has a licensing board that is responsible for issuing and regulating the licenses of land surveyors.
It is usually a good idea to obtain quotes from multiple surveyors to get an idea of the average cost of a land survey in your area.